Costs Paid for by TOMODACHI-STEM @ Rice University
Through the generous support of the TOMODACHI Initiative, full funding is provided for the following expenses:
- International Airfare: Tokyo – Houston – Washington, DC – Tokyo
- 4-week research internship in science or engineering laboratory at Rice University
- Weekly Seminars at Rice University
- Free Volunteer English Classes at Rice University Organized by the Office of International Students & Scholars
- 1-week Science & Technology Policy Study Tour in Washington, DC & at Lehigh University (Pennsylvania)
- Double-occupancy Hotel Lodging & Daily Breakfast in Houston and Washington, DC
- International Health Insurance for duration of stay in the U.S.
- Rice OISS Visa Processing Fee ($300) and Visiting International Research Student Registration Fee ($100)
Costs Paid by the Student
Students will need to budget for the following additional costs that will be paid for individually. A detailed estimated budget will be forwarded to selected participants approximately one month prior to arrival.
- Travel to/from Tokyo for international group flight
- Passport Application Costs (if applicable)
- Visa application costs for J-1 visa (see below, ~ $160)
- SEVIS Fee (~ $180) See the U.S. Visa page of our website for more information on applicable visa application and SEVIS costs that must be paid for individually.
- Lunches and Dinners not included as part of program schedule
- Note: Hotel rooms in Houston include a full kitchen, cooking/dining supplies, and there is a grocery store next door to the hotel. Students can save money by planning to cook some meals on their own.
- Purchase of a Pre-Paid U.S. Cell Phone & Cell Phone Minutes (~$65 USD)
- Public transportation in Houston and Washington, DC
- Admission fees and drinks/food/souvenirs during cultural excursions and outings
- Personal spending, souvenirs, and miscellaneous expenses (e.g. laundry costs)
- Proof of Meningococcal Vaccination Record or Waiver (required if under the age of 22).*
* Texas State Law requires all “entering students” to be vaccinated against bacterial meningitis if you are under the age of 22 as of the first day of classes. If you are 21 or younger as of the first day of the program at Rice University, you must have received this vaccination within the past 5 years and provide proof of vaccination. More information will be shared with selected participants who are required to show proof of vaccination.