Potential Research Host Labs at Rice University
All participants will be placed into a science or engineering research lab at Rice University under the advisement of a U.S. host professor and each student will be assigned a U.S. graduate student research mentor. Once selected as participants, students will be assigned specific research host labs by Prof. Junichiro Kono in mid-to-late January and research projects will be developed in consultation with the Rice University host professor.
The Rice University host labs are selected for their willingness to mentor a young undergraduate student, for contributions to cutting-edge science & engineering research, and a desire to increase the international diversity and intercultural competencies of their group members by providing them with an opportunity to work with visiting undergraduate researchers from Japan.
The goals of the research internship are to:
- Provide students with hands-on experience with cutting-edge science & engineering research;
- Enhance students technical and research skill sets;
- Enable students to collaborate in an international research experience;
- Enhance students inter-cultural communication & English language skills;
- Encourage students to pursue future graduate study and research.
Prior to application students are strongly encouraged to:
- Review the websites of professor/s in academic departments in your field or area of research interest.
- Indicate in your application essays up to 3 host professors/labs at Rice University that you are most interested in working with. This will help the selection committee better understand your specific research interests.
- Please do not contact potential host professors at Rice yet. If you are selected as a participant in the program, we will assist you with placement into an appropriate host lab at Rice based on your research interests/academic background and host lab availability.
Academic Departments and Research Centers
Learn more about the types of research being conducted at Rice by reviewing the websites of professors in the following academic departments and centers within the George R. Brown School of Engineering and the Wiess School of Natural Sciences.
- Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering
- Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Computational and Applied Mathematics
- Computer Science
- Earth Science
- Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Materials Science & Nanoengineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Physics & Astronomy
- Rice Center for Quantum Materials
- Smalley-Curl Institute
- School of Engineering Research Centers
- School of Natural Sciences Research Centers
Learn More About Research At Rice University
Applicants are strongly encouraged to review the students profiles of participants in the 2016 TOMODACHI STEM @ Rice University program to learn more about what conducting a research internship at Rice University is like.