About Rice University
Rice University As a leading research university with a distinctive commitment to undergraduate education, Rice University aspires to path breaking research, unsurpassed teaching and contributions to the betterment of our world. It seeks to fulfill this mission by cultivating a diverse community of learning and discovery that produces leaders across the spectrum of human endeavor. Rice’s small size allows personal interaction between students and professors, while our eminent faculty fosters the intellectual excitement of a major research university. At Rice, undergraduates and graduate students at all levels participate in cutting-edge research with world-class faculty in the humanities, social sciences, engineering and natural sciences. Premier architecture and music professors enhance classroom experiences with their exceptional talent and artistry. A Rice education offers personal involvement and excellence in programs that prepare graduates for a changing world; throughout the world. At Rice, we take knowledge seriously. Of course, that doesn’t mean we don’t have fun, because we do. But in the deepest sense, we understand that only those things taken seriously are really fun. If you like this idea, you will like Rice and the many programs we offer on campus. When you study or conduct research with Rice, you’ll get more than just a world-class education: The university offers tremendous learning experiences in the classroom and out — across campus, in the city and throughout the world. With more than 3,500 undergraduates and more than 2,800 graduate students, Rice offers the best of both worlds: an exceptional educational experience offered by professors who know your name.
For more about Rice University, see the following website pages:
- Admission and Aid
- Research at Rice University
- Campus Life
Rice University: Fact Sheet
Videos About Rice University
Click the sections below for lists of some recent videos on Rice University. To see more, including videos on specific research projects/labs at Rice, subscribe to Rice University’s YouTube channel. You can also ‘Like’ the Rice University Facebook page to stay up to date on all recent news and videos about the university.
- About Rice University (2016)
- Be Unconventional at Rice University
- Traditions New & Old Shape the Memories of Rice University
- Campus Tours
- Community Engagement
- 100 Years of Rice University
- Centennial Series: All Videos (35)
- Centennial Series: Female Students Join the Nest
- Centennial Series: Master Plan of Rice University
- Centennial Series: The Man Who Left his 'Green Thumbprint' on Rice University
- Centennial Series: The Murder Mystery Behind Rice University
- Centennial Series: Willy's Statue
- International Students
- Baker Institute Ranked Among World's Top 25 Think Tanks
- Baker Institute for Public Policy (Multiple Videos, 10+)
- Center for Study of Women, Gender, and Sexuality (Multiple Videos, 14+)
- Kinder Institute for Urban Research (Multiple Videos, 11+)
- Rice's Glasscock School Celebrates 50 Years of Lifelong Learning
- Rice University Humanities (Multiple Videos, 48+)
- Rice University Jones School of Business (Multiple Videos, 11+)
- Rice University Social Sciences (Multiple Videos, 48+)
- School of Engineering (Multiple Videos, 198+)
- School of Natural Sciences (Multiple Videos, 88+)
- 50th Anniversary of John F. Kennedy's 'Moonshot' Speech at Rice University
- Biosciences Research Collaborative
- Brockman Hall for Physics
- Centennial Series: The First Physics Building at Rice University
- Centennial Series: The Nobel Prize
- Engineering: The Rice Advantage
- Master's of Bioengineering in Global Medical Innovation Program
- NEWT Center Will Use Nanotechnology to Transform Water Treatment
- Reimagine Tomorrow at Rice University: The Oshman Engineering Design Kitchen & Senior Design Projects
- Vice President Joe Biden's Cancer Moonshot Talk at Rice University
What Is the Oshman Engineering Design Kitchen
- All Videos: Students (Multiple Videos, 292+)
- Academic Advising for Degree-Seeking Undergraduates (Multiple Videos, 14+)
- Doerr Institute Develops Leaders at Rice
- Good Communication is Critical: Center for Written, Oral, and Visual Communication
- Public Speaking Tips from Rice's Speech and Debate Team
- Rice Students Focus on Life After College at Career Expo
Rice University: Rankings
2018 Times Higher Education: World University Rankings – Rice University (U.S. Ranking: 14 and World Ranking: 86)
Rice University is an intimately sized research university in the heart of Houston, Texas, with a focus on undergraduates and a reputation for unconventional thinking. Edgar Odell Lovett , the first president of Rice, said “[We must] keep the standards up and the numbers down”, and even today there are only a few thousand students.Lovett introduced a college system whereby students and faculty would live, eat and learn in the same environment.
Four academic subjects at Rice University were ranked among the top 100 worldwide in the 2018 edition of U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Global Universities.” Physics is No. 26, materials science is No. 29, chemistry is tied for No. 48 and mathematics is No. 89.
Rice University is ranked No. 14 among the best national universities in the 2018 edition of U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Colleges” guidebook, which was published today. Ranked No. 15 last year, Rice is tied with Brown, Cornell and Vanderbilt universities for No. 14 this year and remains the highest-ranked Texas university in the guidebook.
Rice University remained among the top 100 world universities in the 2018 rankings announced Sept. 5 by the London-based publication Times Higher Education (THE). Moving up one spot from last year, Rice is now tied for No. 86 with Sweden’s Uppsala University.
In addition to rising to No. 14 among national universities in U.S. News & World Report’s 2018 “Best Colleges” guidebook, as reported in the Sept. 18 Rice News, Rice University has fared well in a number of other recent rankings. Below is a sampling. The website Niche ranked Rice No.
Money magazine named Rice University the best college in Texas for 2017. The honor resulted from Rice’s No. 12 national ranking in Money’s “2017 Best Colleges for Your Money,” which was the highest of any other Texas school in the guide. The rankings are based on quality of education, affordability and alumni outcomes.
The best quality of campus life is at Rice University, according to student surveys used for the Princeton Review’s 2018 edition of “The Best 382 Colleges.” In addition to ranking No. 1 for best quality of life, Rice is No. 1 for lots of race/class interaction and No. 2 for happiest students.
Houston is America’s fourth-largest city and it is a cosmopolitan destination, filled with world-class dining, arts, hotels, shopping and nightlife. Take a stroll through the historic Heights, spend the day exploring the Museum District or head down to Space Center Houston. Later on, grab a bite in one of dozens of award-winning restaurants, or hang out with the cool kids on Washington Avenue. There’s always something to do in this Southern hospitality meets urban chic city. Come explore YOUR Houston!
The city attracts visitors and transplants with a wonderful mix of world-class arts, booming business, pro sports and award-winning cuisine. Not surprisingly, businesses also recognize the allure of Houston’s offerings. Twenty-five companies on the Fortune 500 list call the Energy Capital of the World home. Aeronautic research is unsurpassed at NASA headquarters—the facility responsible for putting the first man on the moon—and Texas Medical Center remains the largest in the world with 47 highly lauded research and treatment institutions.
- Visit Houston
- Video: Discover Houston
- Video: Houston – A Great Place to Live & Work
- Website: Houston – The City With No Limits
- Video: Houston – The City With No Limits
- Video: Our Houston Story
- Houston History & Timeline
- Further Proof that Houston is Really Bigger than Other Cities (Texas Monthly)
- Houstonia Magazine
- Houston Scavenger Hunt
- See also these sections on our Life in the U.S. resources page
Diversity in Houston
The Houston region is now the most diverse area of the U.S., surpassing New York City in 2017. Many people say that Houston is a “window into the future”. Census projections have opened a window into the America of 2050, “and it’s Houston today,” said Stephen Klineberg, a sociology professor at Rice University. “This biracial Southern city dominated by white men throughout all of its history has become, by many measures, the single most ethnically diverse major metropolitan area in the country,” Klineberg said. “Who knew Houston would turn out to be at the forefront of what’s happening across all of America?”. Newcomers have long been part of the Houston story, a city of migrants from across the U.S. that later became a city of immigrants — and their children. From 2000 through 2013, the Houston metropolitan area’s immigrant population grew at nearly twice the national rate.
- Houston Region is Now Most Diverse in the U.S. (Houston Chronicle)
- How Houston Has Become the Most Diverse Place in the U.S. (LA Times)
- In Houston, America’s Diverse Future Has Already Arrived (NPR)
- Houston’s Diversity is America’s Future (Pacific Standard)
- Houston’s Melting Pot: How Diversity Unites the Bayou City (Patch)
- Wikipedia: Demographics of Houston
- Kinder Institute for Urban Research at Rice University