2019 TOMODACHI-STEM @ Rice University Program for Female Undergraduates
Apply by: November 19, 2018 (11:59 PM, Japan time)
Program Dates: February 16 – March 24, 2019
Download Program Flyer (PDF)
The 2019 TOMODACHI-STEM @ Rice University for Female Students is a five-week research internship program for up to 10 female undergraduates from Japan who are majoring in science & engineering (S&E). Held at Rice University in Houston, TX, the program will enable students to gain real world experience with S&E research, provide an introduction to U.S. higher education and provide opportunities for cultural engagement and collaboration with U.S. students. The program will serve as a catalyst for female Japanese students interested in S&E study and research and engagement with the U.S. through international research collaborations. The program dates will be February 16 – March 24, 2019.
2019 TOMODACHI STEM Program @ Rice University は、日本の大学で理系学部を専攻する女性の大学生１０名を対象とした５週間の研究インターンシッププログラムです。同プログラムは、テキサス州ヒュースト ンにあるライス大学にて行われ、大学の研究室に属して最先端の研究活動に触れると同時に、アメリカの高等教育システムを体験し、米国人学生との交流活動を 通して言語や文化を学ぶ機会を提供します。このプログラムは、国際共同研究を通じて、理工学研究に興味を持つ日本人女子学生に、アメリカとの連携のきっか けを提供することを目的としています。プログラムの開催日は2019年2月16日～3月24日です。
To be eligible to apply students must:
- Be at least 18 years old;
- Be a Japanese citizen or permanent resident;
- Be a female, currently-enrolled, degree-seeking undergraduate student in good academic standing at a Japanese institution of higher education;
- Be majoring in a science or engineering field and interested in conducting research in an academic department within Rice’s School of Engineering or a related Research Center or Group or within an academic department within the School of Natural Sciences or a related Research Center or Group
- At the time of application, be a B1, B2, B3, or B4 student*
- Be able to express a demonstrated interest in international science & engineering research & future graduate study in your field;
- Have the conversational English-language ability to successfully conduct research in a U.S. university lab.
Funding: The program provides funding for international airfare, lodging in the Houston (double-occupancy), all seminar and internship related costs, some cultural outings, travel/lodging for final week Science Technology & Leadership study tour on the East Coast, and international health insurance. Students must pay individually for all passport and visa application fees, SEVIS fees, required immunizations, meals in the U.S., and personal spending.
Applications are due by Monday, November 19 at 11:59 PM (Japan time). In addition to the online application form, students will be required to submit:
- University Transcript/Grade Record (in English)
- One Letter of Reference (English preferred)
Interested applicants may also want to review the website profiles of past TOMODACHI STEM participants and from our related programs that enable Japanese undergraduate students to conduct research at Rice University.
For more information see the Application Overview page on our program website or email email@example.com. We look forward to receiving your application!
This program is sponsored by a grant from the TOMODACHI Initiative, a public-private partnership that invests in the next generation of Japanese and American leaders through educational and cultural exchanges as well as leadership programs. The program is administered by the Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering at Rice University.