Reference Letter Overview & Submission
Thank you for agreeing to provide a reference letter in support of an applicant to the TOMODACHI STEM @ Rice University Program. Your honest assessment of the applicant’s motivation and interest in conducting a science & engineering research internship in the U.S. is greatly appreciated. It is strongly preferred that all reference letters be submitted in English, but if this is not possible you can compose your letter in Japanese and we will translate it into English prior to submitting to the selection committee for review.
2019 TOMODACHI STEM Program Reference Letter Submission Deadline: More information on the submission deadline for reference letters will be posted in late summer 2018. Advisors/professors who would like more information on the program should email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Content: Please compose your reference letter on university or organizational letterhead and include the following information to the best of your ability.
- The name of the student that you are submitting this reference letter for.
- Your name, professional title, and university/organization.
- How long and in what capacity have you known the applicant?
- Your assessment of the applicant’s interest in studying abroad in the U.S.
- Your assessment of the applicant’s interest in science & engineering research and/or future graduate study
- Your assessment of the applicant’s spoken English language skills and maturity/suitability to conduct an independent research experience in an U.S. university lab.
- Any other information you believe relevant and helpful to the selection committee.
- Your letter should include your signature and be submitted as an Adobe PDF document (preferred) or Microsoft Word document (.doc or .docx).
If you have questions regarding the submission of your recommendation letter please email email@example.com.